Tiento a las Españas
Music of the time of the Spanish Empire
Works by Tejada, Storace, Valente, Philips Coelho & Correa de Arauxo
The town of Marchena, 45 km. east of Seville, is located in the countryside, the gentle rolling hills of olive trees, cereals and sunflowers. With its 20,000 habitants, retains air more typical of the people of Seville with the best values of its past. His village is stretched around the sun occupied the Palace of Arcos, house and was the center of one of the oldest estates in Seville. Marchena lay in private musical chapel of the Dukes of Arcos in which exercised its teaching, among others, the great musician Cristobal de Morales between 1548 and 1551.
The six organs preserved in Marchena are testimony of instrumental and artistic wealth of this area. Within a radius of about the 4th km., Including the neighboring cities of Ecija, Carmona, Utrera, Arahal, Osuna …, are preserved nearly 40 historic organs, not counting the more than 30 preserved in the city of Seville and the 20 Antequera hosting, and on the road to Granada. In this scenario, the group formed by the two major organs of the church of San Juan de Marchena, is a real center of gravity: the boy or the gospel organ, built by Juan de Chavarria in 1765, faces, large, established the other side of the choir in 1802 by the organ-Francisco Rodriguez.
In contrast to the concept modern body of Francisco Rodriguez, the most original in Andalusia follower that starts with the arrival in 1779 of real organ-Jordi Bosch – the organ boy or Chavarri, invoice shows elements of more traditional, retaining even tiny portion of the pipe organ before – probably built by Henry Franco in 1619 -. A full archetypal flautado ranging from Zimbalista addition to the real trumpet adds a kite right hand and the trumpets of the facade. Only the addition of cadereta back and placed inside an echo of the great organ of the body breaks down, by exception, with the repeated pattern since the early eighteenth century parish bodies Seville.
Juan de Chavarria was born in Estella (Navarra), is a nephew of Sebastian Garcia Murugarren, master organ builder of the cathedral of Cuenca and one of the most prolific organ builders of teachers and greater influence in the early eighteenth century. Garcia Murugarren reached Seville in 1741 with a view to completing the work of the organ of the cathedral was left unfinished by the death of Diego de Orio in 1731.
Completed the work in 1744, and following the return of the teacher in Cuenca, the town council appoints as organ builder of the cathedral of Seville to his nephew Juan de Chavarria Murugarren, who would serve until his death in Seville on March 26, 1772 . Only a few works by Juan de Chavarria have been documented in the area. Of all, is the body of the church of San Juan de Marchena the instrument that places him as required benchmark of eighteenth-century Castilian organbuilding Andalusia.